Tuesday, March 11, 2008

giggle, chortle, guffaw

From the beginning of life, laughter is sought after. We bend over bassinets, contorting our faces hoping to be the first one to make the baby laugh. We try and try and try to no avail. And then suddenly, all at once, it happens. A laugh pierces the still air with life and joy. To me, the first laugh is the utmost sound of happiness.
As the years continue, so does the laughter. We laugh our way through elementary school, giggling at every possible situation. A silly song, a funny haircut, or a picture that the teacher drew can all elicit a laugh that still sounds of innocence.
As my life continues, laughter has become a wind chime sailing in the breeze. The tinkling sound of chimes brushing together reaches across the plains and touches you somewhere deep. It reaches that place inside of you that you think couldn’t be reached. Filling you with joy, the echo of chimes remains within and never leaves you. That is what laughter does. It meets you in your very own place and enables a change to come.
Laughter is life giving. It brings a friendship to a level of exhilarating happiness. It brings families into sharing life together and finding joy even when struggles arise. It enables me to live and to celebrate my life. To me, laughter is joy that you can listen to

7 comments:

Tweetums said...

Delightfully written and I very much agree. My favorite sound is hearing Matthew laugh. It makes my heart happy!

Ruth Fraser Davis said...

Brilliant!

Such wisdom, truth and poetry here.
Thanks.

And I'm so glad you're back!

Molly said...

i like you.

Molly said...

hahaha 'guffaw'.. i just noticed that :)
ten points for word choice!

Lorraine said...

"When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies."
J.M. Barrie - Peter Pan

Br. Jonathan said...

Comrade! That's why I named my blog "I Laugh, Therefore, I Am."

Lorraine said...

BTW, that one spam comment after mine is, uh, spam. But the one after that is from my good buddy in Chicago. He's not spam.